Thursday, January 12, 2012

Opossum Killer!

Met with Gracie’s teacher last night for a midyear check up on her progress.  She had nothing but wonderful things to say about Gracie and her progress in Kindergarten.  Just a little attaboy for her – she has mastered all of her sight words for the year and is going to start working on an enrichment list.  We’re very proud of her!!  Oh one cute thing, we were looking at her work that was displayed around the room and one of the assignments that her teacher asked them to do was to pick out a picture from a magazine and write a sentence about it.  A sentence in Kindergarten – wow how times have changed.  Anyway, my little daughter of course picked a picture of a bass boat and wrote a sentence about it.  This made her Daddy VERY proud.  She didn’t pick a girly fairy or something, but a bass boat. 

One more… this made her Daddy VERY proud.  About two weeks ago we had a chicken homicide in our backyard.  I suspected our bulldog because that’s whose mouth I pulled the dead chicken from, but Matthew suspected the opossum that he found in the pen and then later up a tree.  He is probably correct, but I just wanted to be mad at something at that moment.  Anyways, later on in the evening he came inside and said, “I found your chicken killer, come on I need you to hold the light so I can shoot him.”  Well I gotta tell you, I HATE those nasty things and I was upset about my chicken, but I’m not really a “varmit” shooter so I said, nope you deal with it.  Please!!  Well my little five year old daughter JUMPS up and says, “I will help, Daddy!” and gets her boots on.  He boots are her GO TO shoe of choice.  I don’t even think she had jeans on, just a shirt and underwear.  Anyway, there they go out the door, Matthew with his .22 and Gracie with the flashlight.  I thought, yeah one shot and she will come running back in, but nope, in fact there were about five shots (the scope was a little off Matt said. Uhhh yeah, ya think?) and through the door she comes busting through it in excitement, “Mommy WE KILLED THAT OPOSSUM!”  She was so excited that she helped KILL that thing.  Matt was beaming from ear to ear and was proud that she helped him.  He said she didn’t move a bit and held the light on it for him.  I thought Savannah was going to be our tom boy, but it looks like Gracie is taking on the roll and we couldn’t be more happy.  Poor Matt, he had to go out and get a male dog just to have another man around the house.  Three women, 10 hens and a female bulldog.  J  Just thought I would share. 

2 comments: